Aside from being the father of current Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham, Fred Whittingham played college football as a linebacker for BYU in 1963, and would go on to play 8 seasons in the NFL. After NFL retirement, he would return to BYU in 1973 to coach under LaVell Edwards as linebackers coach for five seasons and defensive coordinator for 4 seasons. He then left BYU to pursue coaching positions in the NFL for the Los Angeles Rams and the Oakland Raiders. He would also join his son Kyle Whittingham assisting in the defensive coaching duties at the University of Utah for six seasons. Fred passed away in 2003.
- Garnet and Cocky 10 hoursSouth Carolina football: Gamecocks' strengths need improvement
- Sports Illustrated NCAAF 3 yearsFormer BYU coach LaVell Edwards dies at 86
- Slap the Sign 10 hoursNotre Dame Football: Irish secure top 100 wide receiver... again
- Rubbing the Rock 10 hoursClemson football: Trevor Lawrence is the best player in the country
- Storm The Paint 11 hoursSt. John's basketball opts out of Preseason NIT amid COVID concerns
BYU Cougars news from FanSided Daily